WHAT IS AMOXICILLIN AND CLAVULANATE POTASSIUM (AUGMENTIN, AUGMENTIN ES-600, AUGMENTIN XR)?
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called penicillins. Amoxicillin fights bacteria in the body.
Clavulanate potassium is a form of clavulanic acid, which is similar to penicillin. Clavulanate potassium fights bacteria that is often resistant to penicillins and other antibiotics.
The combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium is used to treat many different infections caused by bacteria, such as sinusitis, pneumonia, ear infections, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, and infections of the skin.
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF AMOXICILLIN AND CLAVULANATE POTASSIUM (AUGMENTIN, AUGMENTIN ES-600, AUGMENTIN XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction — fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild diarrhea, gas, stomach pain;
- nausea or vomiting;
- skin rash or itching;
- white patches in your mouth or throat; or
- vaginal yeast infection (itching or discharge).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AMOXICILLIN AND CLAVULANATE POTASSIUM (AUGMENTIN, AUGMENTIN ES-600, AUGMENTIN XR)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to amoxicillin or clavulanate potassium, or if you have ever had liver problems caused by this medication.
Do not use if you are allergic to any other penicillin antibiotic, such as amoxicillin (Amoxil, Augmentin, Dispermox, Moxatag), ampicillin (Principen, Unasyn), dicloxacillin (Dycill, Dynapen), oxacillin (Bactocill), or penicillin (Bicillin L-A, PC Pen VK, Pfizerpen), and others.
Before taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, tell your doctor if you have liver disease (or a history of hepatitis or jaundice), kidney disease, or mononucleosis, or if you are allergic to a cephalosporin antibiotic, such as cefdinir (Omnicef), cefprozil (Cefzil), cefuroxime (Ceftin), cephalexin (Keflex), and others.
If you switch from one tablet form to another (regular, chewable, or extended-release tablet), take only the new tablet form and strength prescribed for you. This medicine may not be as effective or could be harmful if you do not use the exact tablet form your doctor has prescribed.
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium.